Second ordinary session of the 52nd Synod - Postponed
The second ordinary session of the 52nd Synod (planned to be held 6-8 September 2021) has been postponed. Archbishop Raffel has decided, with the concurrence of the Standing Committee, to postpone the session as a consequence of the increased community transmission of COVID-19 and the expectation that restrictions in place would prevent the convening of the session at that time. A decision has not yet been made on alternative dates on which to hold the session.
Synod elections to boards, councils and committees will continue as planned, with any contested elections determined by online ballot (similar to the process employed in 2020).
A revised form of the 1st Circular to Synod Members is provided below, focusing upon information relevant to the Synod elections.
- Circular to Synod members (revised 15 July) - a revised form of the 1st Circular, in light of the postponement of the session.
- Schedule of Elections Required - 9 July 2021
- Nomination form
Documents related to the postponed session (September 2021)
- Withdrawn: Archbishop's Summons to the second ordinary session of the 52nd Synod - 9 July 2021
- The 1st Circular to Synod members has been revised in light of the postponement, available above dated 15 July 2021. The version sent 9 July 2021 is available for reference.
- A Brief Guide to Synod Rules - summarises key procedures and rules of the Synod, and is intended to be printed as a booklet for quick reference throughout Synod (Booklet format / A4 format)
- Briefing for new Synod members - what to expect & how to prepare (recorded 21 April 2021): complete recording
- Information about parish Synod representatives (including the appointment of an alternate - if you are unable to attend a session)
- Officers and committees appointed at the first session of the 52nd Synod
First ordinary and special sessions of the 52nd Synod (May 2021)
- Declaration of the election of the Very Rev Kanishka De Silva Raffel as Archbishop of Sydney
- Synod Summary - Circular to Parishes - 7 May 2021
- Resolutions of the First Ordinary session (2021)
- 2021 Proceedings of Special Session of the 52nd Synod Book
- 2021 Proceedings of First Ordinary Session of the 52nd Synod Book
- Presidential Address: Peter Lin - 4 May 3021 (link to sydneyanglicans.net article or PDF)
- "The Contemporary Role of the Archbishop of Sydney" (an appendix to the Archbishop of Sydney Election Ordinance 1982)
- President Lin's Election Synod Process Guide
- The election process during a special session to elect an Archbishop: flowchart
- Archbishop of Sydney Election Ordinance 1982
- Presidential Address: Peter Hayward - 3 May 3021 (link to sydneyanglicans.net article or PDF)
- Frequently asked questions related to making a nomination
Documents associated with the postponed 2020 session
- Notice to Members - Retirement of Archbishop Glenn Davies as Archbishop of Sydney - 30 November 2020
- Archbishop's Letter to members of the 52nd Synod - 30 July 2020
- 1st Circular - 11 August 2020
- Glebe Administration Board 2019 Annual Report Summary
- Notice of Uncontested Elections - 22 September 2020
- Contested Elections Results: Report to the President - 8 October 2020