The Anglican Church is a voluntary organisation which operates within Acts of the NSW Parliament and other State and Australian laws. All its real and personal property is held on trusts: it is a series of charitable trusts.
There are 23 dioceses in the Anglican Church of Australia (7 in the Province of NSW). Most dioceses have standing committees or bishops-in-council. In Sydney, we have a Standing Committee which has several executive committees.
The Standing Committee of the Synod of the Diocese of Sydney is the executive of the Synod and its main powers are in the Standing Committee Ordinance 1897, the Cost Recoveries Framework Ordinance 2008, the Accounts, Audits and Annual Reports Ordinance 1995 and the Delegation of Powers Ordinance 1998.
Responsibilities of the Standing Committee
The Standing Committee's main functions are -
- making arrangements, preparing and proposing business for the Synod and printing a report of Synod proceedings, and
- defraying the expenses of the Synod and the Standing Committee and paying other sums authorised by the Synod, and
- being a council of advice to the Archbishop (the "Archbishop-in-Council"), and
- agreeing to the appointment of assistant bishops and archdeacons and to certain categories of expenditure from the Endowment of the See, and
- considering and reporting upon any matter which the Synod refers to the Standing Committee and carrying out the resolutions of the Synod, and
- deliberating and conferring upon matters affecting the interests of the Church and within the jurisdiction of the Synod, and
- making enquiries, communicating with Government and other persons and presenting petitions and addresses, and
- making ordinances, and
- having custody of all books, documents or other property of the Synod and all other property belonging to the Church in the Diocese of Sydney not vested in any other body or person, and
- exercising other powers prescribed by the Synod (giving policy directions to the Property Trust and the Secretariat, filling casual vacancies among persons appointed to various committees by the Synod, preparing income and expenditure ordinances, etc).
The Standing Committee is the "Synod in recess", its minute book is laid on the table at each Synod session and its report, including audited financial statements, is circulated before each session.
The Archbishop in Council
Various ordinances require actions, approvals or decisions of the Archbishop-in-Council.
An Act of the Archbishop-in-Council is a decision of the Archbishop acting on the advice of the Standing Committee. A decision of the Archbishop-in-Council is therefore a 2 step process. Commonly, the Standing Committee passes a resolution recommending to the Archbishop a particular course of action. If the Archbishop approves that course of action, a decision of the Archbishop-in-Council has been made. As evidence of the decision, a formal document (an "Act") in drawn up which the Archbishop signs. The Act is then filed in a book entitled "The Acts of the Archbishop-in-Council". If the Archbishop does not approve the Standing Committee's recommendation, then no Act of the Archbishop-in-Council is made.
In contrast, a decision of the Standing Committee is made when the Standing Committee passes a resolution. The Archbishop does not have to concur in the making of that resolution.
The Archbishop The Chancellor Archbishop Glenn Davies Mr Michael Meek SC The Regional Bishops The Registrar Bishop Chris Edwards Mr Doug Marr Bishop Peter Hayward Bishop Ivan Lee The Diocesan Secretary Bishop Peter Lin Mr Robert Wicks Bishop Michael Stead The Chief Executive Officer of Sydney
The Archdeacons Vacancy Archdeacon Kara Hartley Laypersons Elected by Whole Synod Dean of St Andrew's Cathedral Mr Michael Easton Dean Kanishka Raffel Mr Stephen Hodgkinson Dr Robert Mackay The Principal of Moore Theological College Mr John Pascoe The Rev Dr Mark Thompson Dr Laurie Scandrett Dr Claire Smith Ministers Elected by Whole Synod Dr Robert Tong AM The Rev Nigel Fortescue The Hon Peter Young AO QC Canon Stephen Gibson The Rev Zac Veron Laypersons Elected by Georges River
The Rev Philip Wheeler Mr Robert Bradfield Dr Bryan Cowling Ministers Elected by Georges River
Mr Clive Ellis Canon Phillip Colgan Mr James Flavin The Rev Matthew Yeo Laypersons Elected by Northern
Ministers Elected by Northern
Mr John Driver The Rev Craig Roberts Miss Jenny Flower The Rev Craig Schafer Mr Phillip Shirriff Ms Nicola Warwick-Mayo Ministers Elected by South Sydney
The Rev Andrew Katay Laypersons Elected by South Sydney
The Rev Justin Moffatt Mrs Elisabeth Boyce Mrs Gillian Davidson Ministers Elected by Western Sydney
Ms Michelle England The Rev Dr Raj Gupta Dr Karin Sowada The Rev Gavin Poole Laypersons Elected by Western Sydney
Ministers Elected by Wollongong
Mr Jeremy Freeman Canon Sandy Grant Mrs Patricia Jackson The Rev Stephen Semenchuk Mr Malcolm Purvis Mr Lyall Wood AM RFD Laypersons Elected by Wollongong
Mr Peter Evans Mr Geoff Kyngdon Dr David Nockles Mr Tony Willis
Scheduled Meeting Dates for 2017
13 February 2017 31 July 2017 20 March 2017 28 August 2017 1 May 2017 18 September 2017 29 May 2017 13 November 2017 26 June 2017 4 December 2017
Scheduled Meeting Dates for 2018
12 February 2018 23 July 2018 26 March 2018 27 August 2018 23 April 2018 24 September 2018 14 May 2018 12 November 2018 4 June 2018 10 December 2018
All correspondence for the Standing Committee should be sent to the Diocesan Secretary, using the contact details below:
The Diocesan Secretary
PO Box Q190
QVB Post Office NSW 1230
The Diocesan Secretary
St Andrew's House
SYDNEY SQUARE NSW 2000