Diocesan Officers (Retirement) Ordinance 1987
No 28, 1987
An Ordinance to provide for the retirement of holders of certain offices on reaching the age of 72 years.
A. The Synod, by resolution 5/86 resolved as follows -
B. The Standing Committee has prepared an ordinance accordingly.
NOW the Synod of the Diocese of Sydney HEREBY ORDAINS DECLARES DIRECTS AND RULES as follows -
1. This Ordinance may be cited as the "Diocesan Officers (Retirement) Ordinance 1987".
2. This Ordinance shall commence on 1 July 1988.
3. This Ordinance applies to the office of member of a board, chapter, committee, corporation, council or other body constituted, or controlled or regulated, by an ordinance of the Synod of the Diocese of Sydney or of the Standing Committee of Synod, but does not apply to -
4. A person of or above the age of 72 years is not eligible to be elected or appointed to or to act in an office to which this Ordinance applies.
5. A person shall be deemed to vacate an office to which this Ordinance applies and to which the person has been elected or appointed or in which the person acts if the person reaches the age of 72 years.
6. A casual vacancy caused by the operation of this Ordinance in an office to which this Ordinance applies shall be filled in accordance with the Casual Vacancies Ordinance 1935 as if the casual vacancy arose under that
7. To the extent of any inconsistency between the provisions of this Ordinance and any other ordinance applying to an office to which this Ordinance applies, the provisions of this Ordinance shall prevail.
8. Where the provisions of another ordinance applying to an office to which this Ordinance applies are inconsistent with the provisions of this Ordinance, the Diocesan Secretary is hereby empowered and authorised, on the reprinting of any such other ordinance, to make such amendments to it as will remove the inconsistency.
9. (1) A person holding an office to which this Ordinance applies and who has reached the age of 72 years before 1 July 1988 shall retire on that date.
(2) Clause 6 does not apply to a casual vacancy caused by the operation of subclause (1).
I certify that the Ordinance as printed is in accordance with the Ordinance as reported.
E D CAMERON
We certify that this Ordinance was passed by the Synod of the Diocese of Sydney on this 12th day of October 1987.
G K CLIFTON
I assent to this Ordinance
| About Us
| For Clergy
| For Wardens & Parish Councillors
| For Bishops & Archdeacons
| For Synod & Standing Committee
For Other Committees, Boards & Councils | Other Services | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Site by Enitiative