Remuneration Packaging for Clergy - 5 June 2000
1. The Standing Committee has approved the introduction of remuneration packaging for clergy with effect from 1 July 2000.
2. The annual Stipends, Allowances and Benefits Circular for 2000 has been amended to incorporate the new arrangements. A copy of the amended circular is attached which shows the amendments in underlined text. A new item 4 "Stipend Sacrifice" has been added on page 4 and a new item 8 "Other Approved Benefits" has been added on page 6. Item 10 "Ministerial Expense Account Arrangements" has been amended by alterations to paragraph (e) and the addition of a new paragraph (h).
3. The amounts of stipends, superannuation, travel and other allowances etc have not changed. The next review of stipends, allowances and benefits will take place in September.
4. The purpose of this notice is to advise changes to the annual Stipends, Allowances and Benefits circular as approved by the Standing Committee only. The amended circular does not include any changes which may arise as a result of The New Tax System. These changes will be notified as soon as possible after finalisation of the relevant legislation.
5. Under the new arrangements a minister, assistant minister or lay minister may sacrifice up to 30% of stipend. The actual amount to be sacrificed is to be determined by the minister, assistant minister or lay minister involved.
6. The amount sacrificed from the stipend must be paid into a ministerial expense account ("MEA") set up and operated in accordance with item 10 of the circular.
7. The minister, assistant minister or lay minister may have any of the expenses listed in item 8 of the circular paid from the sacrificed amount in the MEA.
8. The method by which expenses are paid from the MEA has not changed. Amounts in the MEA may be used for the direct payment of, or the reimbursement for, any of the approved expenses of the minister.
9. To assist in the administration of the MEA the churchwardens may wish to consider the use of a credit card.
Please contact me on 9265 1686 if you have any questions regarding these changes.
| About Us
| For Clergy
| For Wardens & Parish Councillors
| For Bishops & Archdeacons
| For Synod & Standing Committee
For Other Committees, Boards & Councils | Other Services | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Site by Enitiative