Acts & Ordinances
General Synod Ė Holy Communion Canon 2001 Adopting Ordinance 2004
No 34, 2004
An ordinance to adopt Canon No 10, 2001 of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Australia.
The Synod of the Diocese of Sydney Ordains as follows.
1. Name of Ordinance
This Ordinance is the General Synod - Holy Communion Canon 2001 Adopting Ordinance 2004.
2. Adoption of Canon No 10, 2001
Canon No 10, 2001 of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Australia, the text of which is set out in the Schedule, is adopted.
A canon concerning the Holy Communion or the Lordís Supper.
The General Synod prescribes as follows:
1. This canon may be cited as the ďHoly Communion Canon 2001Ē.
2. Wherever possible, in the church or one of the churches in every parish, the Holy Communion or the Lordís Supper should be celebrated sufficiently frequently and at appropriate times so as to provide reasonable opportunity for every parishioner to communicate regularly and frequently and at Easter.
3. Every minister when celebrating the Holy Communion or the Lordís Supper must receive the sacrament,normally first.
4. The sacrament must normally be offered separately in both kinds to every communicant.
5. The bread offered must be wholesome and the wine must be of good quality.
6. (1) If a minister who has the cure of souls believes that anyone who intends to partake of the Holy Communion or the Lordís Supper ought not to be admitted thereto by reason of malicious and open contention with another or other grave sin without repentance, the minister must:
(2) Should the bishop direct a minister under sub-section (1) not to admit a person to the Holy Communion, every other minister in the diocese should likewise refuse to admit that person to the Holy Communion unless and until the bishop otherwise directs.
7. The canons numbered 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27 and 28 of the Canons of 1603, in so far as the same may have any force, have no operation or effect in a diocese which adopts this canon.
8. The provisions of this canon affect the order and good government of this Church within a diocese and shall not come into force in a diocese unless and until the diocese adopts this canon by ordinance of the synod of the diocese.
I Certify that the Ordinance as printed is in accordance with the Ordinance as reported.
I Certify that this Ordinance was passed by the Synod of the Diocese of Sydney on 19 October 2004.
I Assent to this Ordinance.
PETER F JENSEN
| About Us
| For Clergy
| For Wardens & Parish Councillors
| For Bishops & Archdeacons
| For Synod & Standing Committee
For Other Committees, Boards & Councils | Other Services | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Site by Enitiative