Acts & Ordinances
Assistant Bishops Ordinance 1947
(Reprinted under the Interpretation Ordinance 1985.)
The Bishops Coadjutor Ordinance 1947 as amended by and under the Assistant Bishops (Bishops Coadjutor) Ordinance 1971, the Assistant Bishops Amendment Ordinance 1981, Interpretation Ordinance 1985, the Retirements Ordinance 1993 and the Regions (Change of Name) Ordinance 1997, the Archbishop of Sydney Appointment Amendment Ordinance 1997, the Miscellaneous Amendments Ordinance 1999, the Assistant Bishops (Bishops Coadjutor) Ordinance 1947 Amendment Ordinance 2001 and the Assistant Bishops Ordinance 1947 Amendment Ordinance 2010.
An Ordinance to provide for the appointment of Assistant Bishops for the See of Sydney.
The Synod of the Diocese of Sydney Ordains Directs Declares and Rules as follows –
1. Assistant Bishops may from time to time be appointed for the Diocese of Sydney to perform such episcopal acts as the Archbishop of Sydney for the time being shall require.
2. (1) An Assistant Bishop shall during the period of his appointment bear such title if any as the Archbishop of Sydney with the concurrence of the Standing Committee may determine.
(2) If the title of an Assistant Bishop is changed under clause 2(1) as a consequence of the change of the name of a Region under clause 3(2) of the Regions Ordinance 1995, then each ordinance referring to that title is taken to have been changed and in any reprinting of that ordinance the Diocesan Secretary is authorised to print the new title in the place of the former title.
3. The stipend of such Assistant Bishop shall be determined from time to time by the Standing Committee with the approval of the Archbishop provided that should an Assistant Bishop receive any stipend as a Rector of a Parish or as the Administrator of the Diocese or any payment as an employee or officer of an Anglican or other Christian organisation such stipend or payment so received together with all fees received by virtue of his office shall be regarded as part of the said stipend.
4. The Archbishop may appoint a person as an Assistant Bishop if the appointment is approved by the Standing Committee in accordance with the procedure under clause 5.
5. (1) The Archbishop is to notify the Standing Committee that, at a meeting of the Standing Committee designated in the notification (the "Relevant Meeting"), he will ask the Standing Committee to approve the appointment of a person as an Assistant Bishop. The notification may be given verbally at a meeting of the Standing Committee or may be given in writing, but in either case is to be given at least 25 days before the Relevant Meeting. In the notification the Archbishop may, but need not, state the name of the person whom he intends to present to the Standing Committee for approval to be appointed as an Assistant Bishop.
(2) The appointment of a person presented by the Archbishop will be approved by the Standing Committee if a motion approving the appointment is passed by a 2/3 majority of those present and entitled to vote (other than the Archbishop) in each house of clergy and laity at the Relevant Meeting.
(3) Voting on a motion referred to in clause 5(2) is to take place by secret ballot.
6. (1) Subject to this Ordinance, an Assistant Bishop shall be appointed by the Archbishop of Sydney for the time being -
(2) Any appointment made pursuant to this Ordinance shall be subject to the Retirements Ordinance 1993.
(3) The appointment of an assistant bishop continues on the same terms after the date on which the election of a person to the office of Archbishop of Sydney has become effective.
(4) A person holding office as an Assistant Bishop may resign from that office by giving notice to the Archbishop of Sydney in writing.
7. . . . . .
8. The provisions of this Ordinance shall apply to the appointment of every Assistant Bishop made after the date upon which this Ordinance takes effect.
9. This Ordinance is the Assistant Bishops Ordinance 1947.
Table of Amendments
| About Us
| For Clergy
| For Wardens & Parish Councillors
| For Bishops & Archdeacons
| For Synod & Standing Committee
For Other Committees, Boards & Councils | Other Services | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Site by Enitiative