Synod in Past Years
Proposal to Change the Parish of Robertson to a Provisional Parish
(A report from WARC.)
Initiation of Proposal
1. A proposal was made to the Archbishop by the Minister and Churchwardens of St John's Robertson under clause 4(1)(c) of the Parishes Ordinance 1979.
Details of the Meeting
2. A meeting of WARC was held on 16 July 1996 to consider the proposal under clause 5 of the Ordinance.
3. WARC certified that all procedural requirements under clauses 4 and 6 of the Ordinance have been complied with and noted that no objections have been received.
4. The proposal is to change the parish to a provisional parish. The parish council by resolution consented to WARC provisionally changing the status of the parish to a provisional parish from 1 January 1996 under clause 8(2) of the Ordinance.
5. The Parish of Robertson has been unable to pay part of its assessments in 1995 and for 1996 so that arrears total $8,280 to June 1996 (inclusive).
6. There are 2,184 persons claiming adherence to the Anglican Church of Australia within the Parish (NCLS 1991). Robertson is semi-rural with several small village communities. A large proportion of the church community is self employed and incomes are subject to seasonal variation. Since the parish was created a number of families with one or more members in regular employment have transferred out of the area. Possibly the parish took on full parish status too soon. The rural recession and the lack of availability of employment, especially youth employment which causes many young people to leave the area once they attain the age of about 16 years or finish their schooling, has not assisted the growth in parish finances.
7. Some 70 households with 140 adults and over 60 children are on the parish rolls. Through faithful preparation and a recent Moore College Mission, a number of people have been converted. The congregation is stable and there is evidence of growth. The parish is looking at a number of options to facilitate ministry to children and youth.
8. The parish has for some years, been rationalising assets. The 9.30 service at Robertson regularly has the building nearly full and there is a need to build a modern contemporary worship centre.
9. There are signs of growth. Adults have been converted and young people are being confirmed.
Particulars of Church Trust Property
10. Details of property held by the Property Trust upon trust for Robertson follow.
11. Sunday services are held as follows -
12. In 1996 the morning congregations at St David's and St John's were merged and, while this has exacerbated the need to construct a modern contemporary worship centre, there is agreement that with the mission emphasis in the parish there is more effective outreach to the non-churched community.
13. The staff in the parish consists of the minister and an MTS worker who has developed training and outreach to youth. The MTS worker has been funded by MTS and has had subsidised accommodation from the Robertson (Kangaloon and Glenquarry) Ordinance and the Robertson Ordinance. This money will no longer be available once the multi purpose centre is built.
Summary of Receipts and Payments
14. A summary of the financial position of the parish follows -
15. The sum of $22,377 is held under the Robertson Land Sale Ordinance 1989 and $169,960 is held under the Robertson (Kangaloon and Glenquarry) Land Sale Ordinance. While some funds are available for ministry the parish is endeavouring to build up an adequate capital sum to provided a contemporary ministry centre, required for effective ministry in the parish.
16. There are no debts on the properties.
17. Archdeacon Lindsay Stoddart supports the application and notes this is a small semi-rural community which is blessed with a faithful, biblical, evangelistic and pastoral ministry. The congregation is stable and there are signs of growth.
Action by WARC
18. The Wollongong Anglican Regional Council has changed Robertson to a Provisional Parish from 1 January 1996.
Action and Recommendation
19. WARC has changed the Parish of Robertson to a provisional parish from 1 January 1996 and recommends that the Synod assent to this change of status.
For and on behalf of WARC
| About Us
| For Clergy
| For Wardens & Parish Councillors
| For Bishops & Archdeacons
| For Synod & Standing Committee
For Other Committees, Boards & Councils | Other Services | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Site by Enitiative