Synod Membership Ordinance 1995 Amendment Ordinance 2001
The bill for the Synod Membership Ordinance 1995 Amendment Ordinance 2001 has been printed incorporating amendments for which notice was given at the 2nd session of the 45th Synod and which are acceptable to the movers of the bill pursuant to resolution 30/00.
1. The purpose of the proposed ordinance is to amend the Synod Membership Ordinance 1995 (the "Ordinance") to permit the appointment of alternates for Parochial Ministers and Parochial Representatives to a session of Synod.
2. Proposed clause 8A(1) provides that a Parochial Minister can appoint a senior assistant minister as an alternate for the Parochial Minister for a session of Synod if the Parochial Minister expects that during all or part of that session of Synod he will be either -
3. A "senior assistant minister" is an assistant minister licensed to the same parochial unit as the Parochial Minister being -
4. An alternate is appointed by the Parochial Minister giving the Registrar written notice of the details specified in proposed clause 8A(2) at least 14 days prior to the first day of the session. Similarly, an appointment can be revoked under proposed clause 8A(3) by written notice to the Registrar at least 14 days prior to the first day of the session.
5. By clause 8B, a senior assistant minister who is appointed as an alternate to a session of Synod may exercise all the rights which a Parochial Minister may exercise as a member of the Synod and shall be taken to be a Parochial Minister in determining any quorum of the session. However an alternate is not entitled to be elected to any office or committee of the Synod.
6. Under proposed clause 8C the alternate's appointment ends on the conclusion of the last day of the session of Synod for which he or she was appointed. The appointment ends prior to this time if -
7. Proposed clauses 22A to 22C provide for the appointment of an alternate for a Parochial Representative. These provisions essentially mirror the provisions relating to alternates for Parochial Ministers with the following variations -
8. The Standing Committee recommends that Synod pass the bill as an ordinance.
For and on behalf of the Standing Committee
| About Us
| For Clergy
| For Wardens & Parish Councillors
| For Bishops & Archdeacons
| For Synod & Standing Committee
For Other Committees, Boards & Councils | Other Services | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Site by Enitiative