Synod in Past Years
Proposal to Change the Provisional Parish of Leichhardt to a Parish
(A report from the South Sydney Regional Council.)
1. A proposal was made to the Archbishop by the Minister and Churchwardens of the provisional parish of Leichhardt under Clause 4 (1)(b) of the Parishes Ordinance 1979.
2. A meeting of the South Sydney Regional Council was held on 19 September 2001 to consider the proposal under Clause 5 of the Ordinance.
3. South Sydney Regional Council certified that all procedural requirements under Clause 4 and 6 have been complied with.
4. The proposal is to change the Provisional Parish to a Parish.
5. The provisional parish has applied after a gentle growth in attendances and offertories or donations.
6. There has been growth in attendances in an area of the city where increase has to take place to stay the same.
7. In a total population of 15,852 some 2,353 persons still claim affiliation with the Anglican Church. The church serves an area of the inner city which is increasingly secular (22% have no religion according to the census). The community attracts a high percentage of 20-39 year olds who are single and probably living in rental accommodation. 27% of the population is from a non-English speaking background with the largest group from Southern Europe. Ministry is conducted in a highly cosmopolitan environment.
8. In 2000 and 2001 the provisional parish has employed a Lay Stipendiary Minister to seek to capitalise on the flow-through of young adults who visit the church. This intentional ministry has borne some fruit but is very costly to maintain given the rental market. The provisional parish has deliberately dipped into its financial reserves to mount this outreach venture but is presently reconsidering the wisdom of such a full-time appointment and is devising an alternative strategy. The provisional parish conducts a range of other ministries including the provision of Special Religious Education in two primary schools, two women's fellowships, the visiting of shut-ins and has four home groups.
9. The provisional parish now has 92 regular worshippers and ministers to 21 children. The average weekly attendances are as follows -
10. Details of property held by the Property Trust upon trust for Leichhardt are as follows -
* Excludes contents valued at $424,000 in the 2000 Financial Statements.
11. A summary of the financial position over the past 3 years and budget for 2001 are as follows -
12. A summary of assets and liabilities at December 1999 follows -
13. Archdeacon Trevor Edwards supports the application.
14. The South Sydney Regional Council recommends that the Provisional Parish of Leichhardt become a Parish from 1 January 2002.
For and on behalf of the South Sydney Regional Council.
19 September 2001
| About Us
| For Clergy
| For Wardens & Parish Councillors
| For Bishops & Archdeacons
| For Synod & Standing Committee
For Other Committees, Boards & Councils | Other Services | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Site by Enitiative